Friday, August 16, 2013

The world's most delicious sandwich.


Want to know how to make the most delicious sammich the whole world over?  I thought so.

As an initial caveat, I might be biased because I inadvertently discovered this gem, which I have come to call the Italian BLT, while I was sitting on a beach in the most beautiful place in the world: Positano, on Italy's Amalfi Coast.  On our first day of vacation, we plopped ourselves on the above beach for pretty much the whole day, but for when when my husband went to find us lunch and found a convenience store with a tiny deli counter tucked into the back.  He ordered these prosciutto, mozzarella, basil, and tomato sandwiches and we proceeded to return every day for the rest of our stay (vacation problems: arguing over whose turn it is to get up out of their lounge chair to go get lunch).  This sandwich is simple, but somehow the whole is so very superior to the sum of its parts.    
Ingredients (these are for one sandwich): 

Ciabatta roll
4 thin slices of prosciutto (my Whole Foods happened to have this, and if it's good enough for Paul Kahan, it's good enough for me)
3-4 medium thick slices of fresh mozzarella
4-5 basil leaves
3-4 tomato slices
a couple drizzles of olive oil
salt and pepper

I presume you don't need me to tell you how to assemble a sandwich.  My only piece of advice is to be more generous with the olive oil than you think you'll need to be, because it softens up the ciabatta and makes it easier to eat.  

These travel well wrapped in waxed paper or parchment paper.  I tried to tape them shut for a recent lakeside picnic, but my olive oiled hands and parchment paper kept the tape from sticking.  My messy assembly forced me to go Martha on the whole situation and tie them with string, which actually worked fantastically.
Good luck keeping your dog away. 

(All photos by Tall and Salty.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...