Thursday, March 29, 2012

Matilda on the Stage!

Roald Dahls Matilda.jpg
Illustration by Quentin Blake, image via here


 
 
When I was a kid, my favorite author was Roald Dahl, and my favorite of all of his books was Matilda, about a brilliant little girl with horrible parents who has magical powers that she uses to help people.  And saying that it was my favorite book is no small statement: while other kids played House or things like that, I used to make my brother play Library, and we would label all of the books with a number and letter that corresponded to information cards in a card catalog.  (Clearly, I took Mindy's advice about how being a nerd as a kid is the way to be.)  It's still set up at my parents' house.



I say this by way of backstory so that you can understand how excited I was to find out that Matilda is a musical!  And, you know, to try to connect with other kids who played Library.  Although Matilda is currently playing in London, Elizabeth Street reports that it is in fact coming to Broadway.  I can't wait to see it someday.
 
Matilda The Musical
Image via The Guardian

Kerry Ingram as Matilda in the RSC's production.
Image via The Telegraph


Kerry Ingram ( Matilda ) Bertie Carvel ( Miss Trunchbowl ) Lauren Ward ( Miss Honey )
Image via The Telegraph

Just thinking of their names evokes these characters: the dishonest Mr. Wormwood, evil Miss Trunchbull, and the sweet Miss Honey.  Those might be even more perfect than "Betty Draper."

In the meantime, I am going to New York City in mid-May and would love to see a few shows while I am there.  Any suggestions?

For Chicagoans, The Book of Mormon is coming to town in December!  You can get tickets here.  I can't wait to see it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...