Sunday, April 15, 2012

Drink and Pray Dress

Matchbook Magazine Issue No. 15
While perusing the latest Matchbook Magazine a few weeks ago, I came across this interview with Sid and Ann Mashburn, owners of what appear to be two very cool stores in Atlanta, as well as a rather fascinating couple.  Ann has lots of great style tips, but one in particular caught my eye: she says that every woman should have a "drink and pray" dress "that is simple and pretty enough for either a cocktail party or a funeral."  What a dead-on description for that perfect sort of dress that you end up wanting to wear all the time, as opposed to Boring Work Dress No. 4 That Doesn't Fit That Well but It's Okay Becuase It's Just for Work.  Don't tell me I'm the only person who has those.





Here are a couple of dresses that fit the bill and that I would want to wear all the time (and bonus, most of these can go to work, too!).

Diane von Furstenberg Julian Wrap Dress.  This isn't the most original, but it looks good on so many body types, it's sort of fitted and slinky but in a classic, not-too-bare kind of way (and you can scrunch it in a suitcase and it won't matter).  I have this dress and I love it.  As Diane describes it, "No buttons, no zippers, no fuss."
Available here
Diane von Furstenberg Jori Dress.  I will confess, I love me some Diane.  I will also confess that I have this one too, and I imagine that my friends are tired of looking at it.  Whenever I have to go somewhere mildly fancy after work, this is what I wear.  It's so simple, but not plain: there are diagonal seams, a little bit of ruching, and the back has a slight dip that's really pretty.  It's also ridiculously comfortable.
J. Crew Origami Sheath Dress.  This comes in black, charcoal gray, and a beautiful red color, too (so not funeral appropriate, but awfully cute).  The pleating at the neckline makes this so much more interesting than a basic cap sleeve sheath dress.
Pinned Image
Available here
J. Crew Tiered Shift Dress in Raindrop Lace.  I tried this on in the store and it was too short for me (tragedy), but that's probably good news for the rest of you.  Although it's not showing up online in black, I was told that it's available, so happy hunting.  It's worth it.  The lace on this dress isn't super intricate and fancy, so you could dress this up or down, depending on your needs. 
Pinned Image
Available here
Marc by Marc Jacobs Cunningham Chiffon Dress.  The shape of this has a sweet feel to it and the sheer is covered but not stuffy.
Available here
Black Halo Belted Jackie O Dress.  What a pretty neckline and flattering silhouette.  This would make your waist look tiny.
Available here
Alice + Olivia Victoria Peplum Dress.  The peplum is a fun detail, and this comes in navy and black.
Available here
David Meister Asymmetrical Matte Jersey Sheath Dress.  Sleeves!  (You can thank Kate and Pippa.)
Available here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...