Friday, April 27, 2012

The Easiest Chicken Ever

You already know about my weeknight-dinner-making-angst.  Here's my latest "lightning-quick, lazy, and completely satisfying dinner," as the marvelous Deb calls it. 

This might be the easiest chicken in the world.  I can't even call this a recipe.

mozzarelladicedbasil40-something cloves of garlicYou need:
Chicken breasts (one each for however many people you're feeding -- the quantities referred to below are per chicken breast)
A teaspoon or so of minced garlic
Half a tomato, diced
3-4 basil leaves
2-3 slices of mozzarella  (Bel Gioioso comes pre-sliced, and is gluten free, should that be a concern)
Olive oil for drizzling
Salt and pepper
Spinach
Toothpicks

Cut a slit in the middle of the chicken breast so that it resembles a pouch.  I don't know any fancy techniques for stuffing chicken breasts so that they look pretty, but if you do, I would deploy that talent here (and share how you do it in the comments!).  Sometimes if the chicken breast is really big, it will have a flap-like piece on the top, so I try to make my cut so that I can use that piece as part of my pouch.

Put the mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and garlic in the opening in the chicken, and then use a couple of toothpicks to close it up so everything doesn't fall out in the oven.

Set however many chicken breasts you have on a cookie sheet (I use a foil covered one because I hate washing pans with melted cheese baked on) or in a glass casserole dish.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.


Bake at 450 for 35 minutes, and serve on a bed of spinach. 

It's so good.

(All images via Smitten Kitchen here, here, here, and here)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...