Sunday, April 22, 2012

Hello Gorgeous.

I have a confession: I am a Twilight fan (insert shame here).  I've read the books and watched the (not-all-that-great) movies.  I will be the first person to admit that there's a lot to judge, but I loved Bella's wedding makeup in the most recent movie.

Image via here

Her eyes look gorgeous.  I wanted to try this out, but there were a couple of serious flaws with the plan:  (a) I bear absolutely zero resemblance to Kristen Stewart; and (b) I have zero talent or know-how when it comes to makeup (see the sidebar: I'm a lawyer.  And 100% of my makeup routine takes place in my car).

I decided not to let these two slight issues get me down and started looking around to see if I could come up with some sort of miracle solution.  I didn't, but I did find something else: YouTube makeup tutorials.  There are a million of these (many of which are 16-year-olds spilling their thoughts and feelings to a webcam; i.e., not particularly helpful for real-world assistance).  I've never watched any before my Bella quest began, but there are also some surprisingly really helpful ones out there.  It's like having an excellent makeup counter lady at your house with you while you're getting ready, with the added bonus of being able to pause and rewind her when you get confused.

I thought this tutorial was pretty easy to follow for the Bella look (and bonus, she has a delightful British accent!).



Side note: I've never used a foundation brush in my life, but I bought the one that she uses in the video and I love it.  It somehow looks much better than using my hands, which is my standard operating protocol, and I end up using a lot less foundation.

I also stumbled upon these ladies, who, like the young woman in the video above, have lovely British accents and lots of helpful tips for all kinds of makeup stuff (including everyday looks).



Hope you find these helpful.  Do you have any tips or tricks that you use to learn how to do these kinds of things?

And PS, on the subject of YouTube makeup tutorials: this has been around for a while (I believe she was even on the Today show last week), but this girl's transformation (and chutzpah in showing this to the whole world) is pretty incredible:




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...