Wednesday, June 13, 2012

For those who think young

Have you heard about the big soda kerfluffle happening in New York City?  There's a proposal to ban the sale of sodas over 16 ounces.  This is getting a lot of attention at my house: I'm married to an ardent fountain-Coke-drinker, and while I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, I firmly believe that a huge part of going to the movies is enjoying a delicious 48-ounce Diet Coke (as these ladies would agree). 

So given the recent uproar about how it is apparently all soda's fault that people are overweight, I was shocked to come across these old Pepsi ads: did you know that it used to be marketed as a "light" refreshment for the "slim, trim bridesmaids of today?" 
Pinned ImagePinned Image
Pinned Image
Isn't this kind of amazing?  It reminds me a lot of the antics on Mad Men when all of a sudden they were scrambling to figure out what to say about Lucky Strike cigarettes when they couldn't say that they were healthy any more!

PS: Mad Men finale.  Still ruminating.  What did you think??

(Vintage Pepsi ads via TresSugar.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...